Wednesday, August 23, 2006

This Week's Media Column:
Will PD's Larkin Stay or Go?

Due to a vacation, I skipped a week last week in my every-other week rotation on the Media Hound column in the Free Times.
This week's column is about Plain Dealer editorial page editor (and the paper's institutional memory, especially on politics) Brent Larkin. He's among those who've been offered an early retirement package, and internal newsroom interest is beginning to run high about whether he'll stay or go. Here's hoping this column helps spark at least some modest external interest as well. I think it's time to let some new voices be heard more, and his leaving will surely facilitate that, as well as signal a real end to the unfortunate Alex Machaskee era.

2 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ--Brent Larkin is as left wing as they get--and so are the unfunny left wing cartoons of Jeff D'Arcy--

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Where you stand depends on where you sit, I suppose. I'd agree that Darcy's cartoons proceed from a liberal perspective. Larkin's politics aren't so easily pigeonholed. But then to some conservatives, and I gather you may perhaps be among them, anyone who doesn't swallow a list of orthodox political positions without first exercising some independent brain-wave activity on their worthiness is a liberal. I'd merely call them smart.

On the other hand, Darcy and Larkin have the balls to attach their names to their ideas. Why, I wonder, don't you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home