Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Best Lead of the Month

'Nothing divides the United States from Europe like religion. America has its public piety and its multitude of thriving sects. Europe has its official secularism and its empty, museum-piece churches. Ninety percent of Americans say they believe in God, while only about 60 percent of Britons, French, and Germans say the same. American poltiics is riven by faith-based disputes that barely exist across the Atlantic, while European debates take place under a canopy of unbelief that's unimaginable in the United States, where polls show that a Muslim or a homosexual has a better chance of being elected president than an acknowledged atheist.'
--from Crises of Faith by Ross Douthat in the current issue of The Atlantic. You can review past best leads of the month here.

7 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely considering a move out of this country at retirement. The politics here are firmly based on delusion and not much change in sight.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But then again, hope springs eternal: .

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

I hold out hope, preferring to think that the Bush II years have been an historic aberation, a temporary bit of national insanity. Or rather, the latest in a recurring cycle of national lunacy, of the sort we tend to have in this country occasionally, like the McCarthy era, when the fear centers of our brains drown out the rational side (with much help from demagogic pols and media). We've always restored ourselves to some semblance of collective sanity, as we're restoring ourselves now. It could go faster and easier, of course, but at least it's moving in the right direction.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Art Durkee said...

Speaking for all pagan homosexuals, sorry, I doubt I have a better chance of getting elected than your average atheist. But that's the Midwest for you; it can be unpredictable.

There's always hope. But it's wise to pick and choose what one holds out hope for.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Well said, Art. And I think I'd have to agree with you about your electoral chances, unfortunately. But then, you sound like a guy with lots more engaging things to do with his time than to run for office.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Art Durkee said...

LOL Thanks. I should hope so!

I should have said before, though, that I agree with a lot of the sentiments in the quote, regardless of my electoral chances. My sister and her husband live in Amsterdam, and I've traveled the world a bit, so the contrast between USA and Euro attitudes about religion and plitics is not a revelation to me. In fact, overall I think the quote said it very well.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You're right. I liked the lead not only because it was marvelously well-written, but also because it expressed an interesting and apparently true idea. Anyway, I'm so glad you've stumbled over my blog, Art, because it's led me to read yours, which I find quite interesting. I'll be following your story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home