Thursday, June 14, 2007

Have Yourself a National Geographic Summer

I'm looking forward to seeing my pal Anton Zuiker in the next couple of days, as he makes one of his patented whirlwind visits to Cleveland, managing to find quality time with his many friends and at his favorite places. And I recall that he once said his goal in life was to one day edit National Geographic magazine. Life has taken him to other, equally interesting, summits. But thinking about him caused me to visit the magazine's wonderful website, where I found a couple of especially interesting items. Taken together as a guide, they could easily transform your summer.

This package is a wonderful guided tour to the best of America's easily-overlooked wonders, our national park system. You can thank the formidable Teddy Roosevelt for planting that seed, and thousands of others since for watering and maintaining them. I've yet to spend much time at any of them, but I hope to change that before long. And while you're exercising your body (to return to yesterday's theme of mind-body exercise), you can also nourish the mind with this exquisite list of the 100 best adventure books of all time. As it happens, I didn't find one I had read until all the way down to #26, Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff. And you can quibble that Sebastian Junger's The Perfect Storm (it's #30) doesn't belong on the list at all, given the substantial questions that have been raised about its authenticity (as I wrote about here), but those are mere quibbles. I plan to keep this list around for the next few years, as a reminder about several books worth reading. That is, at least whenever I'm feeling adventurous.

2 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, please say hello to Anton for me. He and I were in concert band together at John Carroll, and he played a pretty mean oboe at the time. (Which is no easy thing...my oldest daughter plays the oboe, and it's an absolute bear to play, keep in tune, maintain reeds for, etc.)

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Wow, Scott, never connected you two as having been there at the same time, though I should have. And I NEVER knew Anton played in the JCU band, nor that he plays oboe. But then, he's a man of much depth (and maybe just a little mystery), and it would take several lifetimes to learn 10% of what he's about. I really appreciate this note, though, and he'll certainly get a kick out of hearing this. Meanwhile, please say hello for me to your colleague Jeniffer. And enjoy the summer with your kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home