Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Latest Christian Science Monitor Review:
Bob Novak's Memoir of a Half-Century in D.C.

My latest book review for the Monitor--that beloved, cash-strapped pub that's down to 60,000 copies in print but up to nearly 2 million readers on the web--considers the new memoir by political columnist Bob Novak. For the first time, he comprehensively gives his side of the story about his half-century of Beltway reporting. He doesn't really break much news about his infamous role in the Valerie Plame affair, but he does confess to having once had a $1,000-a-day betting habit, which was an eye-opener, I thought. Anyway, I'll naturally be interested in any reactions to it or to his book, which I found interesting if not terribly well-written. But then, he was trained in the clipped, staccato style of wire services at the AP, a style that's tough to shake.

For links to my three earlier Monitor reviews, all published last year, click here.

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More about Novak in the last couple of days:

Questions for Robert Novak: The Plame Game (NYT)

In new book, Novak distorts events to support assertion that Armitage leak was not "planned" (Media Matters)

Personally, I think the "Prince" should be hung from a clothesline by the "Crown Jewels" and worked over with a carpet beater (I hope that's not too "cliche.")

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Thanks for those additions. I hadn't come across the Media Matters piece, and found it interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home