Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Writing as a Spiritual Discipline

'Is writing more like prayer, or more like life itself, or a little like both? I am not sure. They all seem remarkably akin to me. They all exact something from us, but it is hard--maybe impossible--to know in advance what that something is...writing, prayer, life: they meld and fuse for me, although if I had to choose, I would surely dispense with the writing before the other two. But so far I have not been required to make that choice, so it is hard to think of any one of them without the other two peeping in from the wings. Consequently, I have come to think of writing as a kind of spiritual discipline.'
--From author and Harvard Divinity School theology professor Harvey Cox's introduction to the 2007 edition of The Best American Spiritual Writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home