Monday, December 10, 2007

Monday Stuff

Okay, not much time today to write (at least in this venue), so instead I'll quickly share some interesting stuff I've been reading and/or stumbling over.

Dear Team NEO: if you're not ever going to put anything on your online events calendar, maybe y'all should think about just getting rid of it?

My pal Jimmy Kukral (the web guru) works in bursts. How about you?

Putting out an APB (that's All Points Bulletin for those who haven't watched enough old cop shows) for Chas Rich, missing in action since August. At least the archives are back online. Even those have been missing for awhile. Anybody see or hear from him?

Do you still doubt the thuggery of the American right wing? If so, just click on the comments for this entry on a right-wing newspaper, in a story about their bete noir, Valerie Plame, and you'll get a pretty good glimpse into the heart of darkness.

Here's a song that always manages to make me a little misty eyed whenever I hear it. It also reminds me of old flames. When I bump into them occasionally, I always have to stifle the urge to hum a few bars for them.

What a sublimely cute childhood photo of herself my friend Kris Ohlson posted on her wonderful blog back in July. This should be in a coffeetable book somewhere.

The economic development guru Ed Morrison experiments with a pricey premium blog service. Do let us know how that's going, will you, Ed?

Finally, go see the movie Bella, will you? While it's come in for more than its share of bashing from the critics (but also lots of raves from average movie goers, including sophisticated ones, like those who attended the Toronto film fest and voted it the People's Choice). We caught it over the weekend and found it an impossibly sweet story about the power of love and redemption. But you'd better hurry if you're going to see it on the big screen. For Cleveland-area readers, I think it may only still be at the Richmond Mall cinemas. And with the Cleveland.com movie theatre search page apparently down, we can't confirm that just now. Anyway, more about this movie soon.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is especially poignant with Fogelberg's passing yesterday morning. He had been sick with cancer for three years and had stopped writing and performing since the seriousness of his illness became evident in mid 2004.A talented guy. A real loss...

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Yes, I was chilled a little by the timing of this. I'd never before mentioned him till this item, and only days before he died. But I'm learning through having read a few obits on him that I wasn't alone in my admiration for that song. Like so much of his music, the lyrics evoked so much in so many.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home