Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Belated Father's Day Greetings & A Look
At Writers Taking Stock of Their Old Man

If you pursue writing with any level of seriousness, and we hope you do, eventually you'll probably feel the need to take stock of the debt you owe to your dad. That will likely lead to an attempt to find the right words to describe it all and share it in a piece of writing. That's what these eight writers have done in this interesting Father's Day roundup published in Britain's Guardian newspaper. I invite you to poke around and read some of these interesting takes. The writer Will Self admits the inevitable sentiment of all angry young men: "even though I couldn't acknowledge it at the time, I loved my father." Like every angry young man since the dawn of time, I couldn't acknowledge it, either. At least not until I wrote this tribute to my old man a couple of years ago. Like most guys, I'd have trouble saying such things to him, so I took what, for a writer at least, is the easy way out: I wrote them. However you do it, I hope you get around to doing it before it's too late. And happy belated Dad's day to all you fathers, including mine.

3 Comments:

At 12:17 AM, Blogger Blogging "Capital" said...

I really love the sentiment.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Michelle O'Neil said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father. It was very touching.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Thanks, Michelle. As for you, Mr. Blogging Capital, we'd pay real money to read what you have to say about your old man. Since you're both writers, perhaps it would be like the tangled knots of love and competitiveness between Martin and Kingsley Amis?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home