Saturday, August 22, 2009

Only the Latest Gleaming Little Gem
From Our Favorite Cleveland Writer

'If you want to truly know the heart of a city, try writing about it. For a handful of years, I worked for a local alternative newspaper as a feature writer, trusted to write about lives I thought had meaning. An editor wondered if it would be difficult to find enough Clevelanders with tales worth telling. I said it would be harder to find somebody without one.'
--from the latest remarkable piece of writing by John Hyduk. He goes on to say in this piece that "there is a genius to listening." Last year, I outlined why he's perhaps my favorite Cleveland writer, even as he remains better known among fellow writers--among whom he inspires something bordering on awe in many--than among average readers.

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Geoff Schutt said...

"Those nights were my Julliard."
*
I just love that line.


Geoff,
at "This Side of Paradise"

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

That one really spoke to me also. What an impossibly fresh and interesting way to say something that would otherwise be familiar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home