Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Erin Knows Sexy When She Sees It

My friend and fellow scribbler Erin O'Brien has done some great work in the past, including this well-reported cover story last month in the Scene. But this week she tops even herself with this inspired riff on what constitutes real sexiness for those of a certain age:

I'm not going to give you that tired old list of looking-into-my-eyes, rubbing-my-feet, champagne and strawberries stuff. I am 44 years old for chrissake. I can do a little better than that. Here goes:
-Overtipping the overworked lunch waitress is sexy (and I mean just slipping a few extra bills under the sugar bowl without making a big showy deal of it).
-I do not miss smoking, but I do miss men lighting my
cigarette.

-Whispering something sophisticated and funny in my ear at a dinner party is sexy.
-Work Chinos are sexy. So are the men in them. I don't care about that beer belly, darlin'.
-Desire is sexy. I'm not talking about simply being horny, I'm talking about profound desire, the sort that says I want you. I want to be as close as two people can be, to draw you into me and put my mouth on your mouth and have you so completely that the edges between us blur.
-Taking both my hands in either of your hands and pulling them up above my head and holding them there with our fingers interlaced while we kiss in bed is sexy.

13 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Kass said...

Nothing was sexier to me than my husband's arms when he rolled up his sleeves to do the dishes - seriously.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

I hear ya. Trust me, guys don't find that sexy (or the equivalent of you women doing similar things, although we'll make an exception for car washes in skimpy shorts), but we fully appreciate the differences. Or at least we males with a brain do appreciate them. Anyway, thanks for commenting.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger June Calender said...

Hmmm, you make me feel like writing a essay on what women find sexy ... I wish more guys knew. Believe me it doesn't make a big difference whether he or she is 24, 44, or 64, probably 84. Some things are always sexy. Thanks for a propelling few memories.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

June, we love first-time commenters around here, and I'm so glad you found us. Here's hoping you'll keep coming back, and that you will indeed write that essay. When and if you do, I'll be sure to point to it. I love your blog.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

I've known sexy. It burst on the scene for three weeks, and then it left as fast as it came. Does sexy ever hang around?

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

We'd love to hear detail, Pat, should you be at liberty to share them. Does it ever hang around? That's a great question. I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably a better bet during courtship than marriage.

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not being sexy is to me a declaration that you are taking your significant other for granted.

I turn up the heat every chance I get.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Good for you. I'm guessing--though it's only a guess--that you're female, dear anonymous. Whoever you are, I hope your approach catches fire.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Somehow, this recent article in the Wall Street Journal seems pertinent to this discussion:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704500604574485351638147312-lMyQjAxMDA5MDIwMTEyNDEyWj.html

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Deanna Adams said...

This old married lady of 27 years thinks it's sexy when my husband listens to me as if what I'm saying is of utmost importance, even if it's just ramblings of some mundane thing I did that day.
And falling asleep holding each other's hands. Making each other laugh hysterically. Singing classic rock songs together in the car - long after we've turned the engine off and are at our destination.
And still being best friends . . can't get more sexier than that.
See what you started Erin? Better to talk about this than politics.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

This is a lot more interesting than politics anyway, isn't it, Deanna. Thanks for stopping by and joining the conversation, amigo. Now get back to work on that next book!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

Well, hello again to Deanna! I met her a couple years ago at LCC's writers workshop. Or Writers' workshop? Writer's workshop ... Maybe take a poll -- no possessive, plural or singular? I opt for plural possessive. These things keep me up at night. Okay, no they don't. Something else has been, but I'm walking it off. Lonnnng walks, everyday, until I plop.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

I think plural possessive is the best choice here. Good luck with those walks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home